Domus of Veritas
Please Login to View the full Domus of Veritas

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Domus of Veritas
Please Login to View the full Domus of Veritas
Domus of Veritas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Great Gatsby

4 posters

Go down

The Great Gatsby Empty The Great Gatsby

Post  Conner Vis Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:53 pm

Apparently, two separate adaptations of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby are in production right now; one is helmed by Bollywood director Baz Luhrmann (Romeo+Juliet, Moulin Rouge!, Australia) and the other by Academy Award winner Martin Scorsese (Gangs of New York, Taxi Driver, The Aviator). Between these two directors, who do you guys think is more qualified to take on this project?
Conner Vis
Conner Vis

Back to top Go down

The Great Gatsby Empty Re: The Great Gatsby

Post  Paden Moreno Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:00 pm

Luhrmann will definitely give in a very interesting artistic twist, but I feel like Scorsese might be able to capture the actual anguish, longing, greed, darkness, etc. that goes along with the story a bit better.

I feel that they both could do an excellent job.
Personally, if I had to see only one and not the other I'd see Luhrmann's Gatsby before Scorsese's

Spoiler:
Paden Moreno
Paden Moreno

Back to top Go down

Post  MTFM Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:20 am

I've never read TGG, but its been a book that has haunted me. It manages to show up everywhere, as if tapping me on the shoulder, only to provide a blank stare saying nothing more than "I exist." I used to work at a bookstore, and this book would manage to just fall on me when I would walk through isles. Needless to say, because I've been ninja'ed by this book my entire life, I feel like I have a certain relationship with it. So yeah. I'm a fan of Luhrman's work, but Scorsese is amazing too...
MTFM
MTFM
Admin

https://veritas.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayme DeBoer Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:25 pm

I agree with Paden's opinion on both Lurhmann and Scorsese. Lurhmann is incredibly creative and unique in his style, and Scorsese is pro at evoking the true emotions of characters and could, as Paden said, "capture the actual anguish, longing, greed, darkness..."

I myself have not read TGG, but from what i undestand, it is a story about the roaring 20s and the lavish life of wealthy New York upper-crusters. i think Lurhmann would better display the setting and plot of a decade so rich in extravagance and rot with social problems. Scorsese is pretty good to though. My vote is for Lurhmann!

Jayme DeBoer

Back to top Go down

Post  MTFM Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:57 am

On a semi-related note, I just bought Luhrman's Romeo+Juliet. Anyone here not seen it? It's the story of Romeo and Juliet, but set in modern times. The dialogue however is straight from the original work. The effect is outstanding. The film is filled with Luhrman's general silly style/camera manipulation/sounds, but its rife with serious imagery and scenarios.
MTFM
MTFM
Admin

https://veritas.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum